admins page 1

charlou
21st December 2011, 11:08 PM
Can someone add nostrum and MZ (yet to register - he's on holiday atm) to the admins, please? :)

Cormac has said he's busy with irl and he'll have little time for the forum, so I think he'd not be suited to an admin role at this time?



I need to get my arse back to the FF mafia game before I get lynched for inactivity.
oblivion
21st December 2011, 11:13 PM
nostrum says she doesn't want to be an admin and has volunteered to be the registered member guinea pig. I'm keeping an eye out for MZ and will give him admin abilities as soon as he's registered.
charlou
21st December 2011, 11:14 PM
okay, cheers ob.
charlou
21st December 2011, 11:14 PM
I sent MZ a link to the new forum.
Cunt
22nd December 2011, 02:14 AM
I will admin to the end of my abilities.
nostrum
22nd December 2011, 02:34 AM
^ I will admin if needs be, but at this time there's no need, right?

I am (somewhat) trainable :p
Cunt
22nd December 2011, 02:59 AM
Could someone sort out some practice admin stuff for me to try before it gets important?
charlou
22nd December 2011, 04:37 AM
Could someone sort out some practice admin stuff for me to try before it gets important?

I suggest a subforum for photography ... please :)
Cunt
22nd December 2011, 05:54 AM
I'll see what I can do (http://mindromp.org/forum/admincp/forum.php?do=edit&f=7).
oblivion
22nd December 2011, 03:26 PM
MZ registered. I've approved the registration and made him an admin.
nostrum
22nd December 2011, 04:40 PM
Hola MZ!
charlou
23rd December 2011, 01:10 AM
^ Good, thank you, ob.

I'm still not getting Emails for this sort of thing, though .. ? I'll check my UCP again, but I'm sure I have that option ticked ...


I'll see what I can do (http://mindromp.org/forum/admincp/forum.php?do=edit&f=7).
:cool:
Cunt
23rd December 2011, 01:14 AM
Oops, that link isn't much good...it goes to the admin panel...ah well...

I know you don't want separate admin accounts, but can we have them anyway? I will call mine 'CuntAdminning' so I don't forget. I recently edited someone elses post, and i think it let me because I forgot I was still logged in as admin...
charlou
23rd December 2011, 01:20 AM
Cunt, you don't have to have logged into the admin control panel to have admin tools (including the edit option on other members' posts) on the forum.

I suggest you register with a second account which can be your regular member account, if that's what you want to do?

Your admin account name can be changed to whatever you like, so long as it identifies you in some way, I guess.
Cunt
23rd December 2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks, Elouise, but lets let others weigh in...there may be subtle problems. No need to rush.

Plus THIS should be my regular account...Cunt2 or CuntAdmin would be my professional name :D
Cunt
23rd December 2011, 01:35 AM
Oh, and I could simply never edit (unless it was a 'job'), which could work as well, too.
charlou
23rd December 2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks, Elouise, but lets let others weigh in...there may be subtle problems. No need to rush.

Plus THIS should be my regular account...Cunt2 or CuntAdmin would be my professional name :D


My earlier objection was to what I thought was a suggestion to make it a requirement for admins to do so, and to the suggestion that admins could have some kind of flippant "I'm better cos I'm at teh controls" kind of title, and a concern about identifiability.

But I see that having a separate admin account as an option to avoid mistakes/confusion may be useful for some admins. I see no problem with admins having the option to have a separate account just for adminning, so long as they're identifiable in the log and not taking the piss. :)
charlou
23rd December 2011, 01:44 AM
And I had no intention of not letting others weigh in. That always goes without saying, I think.
oblivion
23rd December 2011, 01:50 AM
Cunt, why not try it out and see if it's a complete pain to have to switch accounts or not? It's a good way to get in touch with how the site will behave for regular members and if some of the ideas we have may kinda chafe in practice.
charlou
23rd December 2011, 01:54 AM
Yep ^

Cunt, register a new account for admin purposes, and once you've done that we can change your current account to regular member status.
nostrum
23rd December 2011, 04:00 AM
I'm not keen on separate accounts. Can't articulate why particularly well, but it seems like admins are removed from being themselves and are "wearing the admin hat" (I HATE that saying!)

But, if you think it would help you, cunt, I've no objections! I'm fairly sure that people like ob and elouise and adenosine who are already experienced admins would not need such a safety net, so maybe just a training wheels kind of account that you may not even need to use later on?
Cunt
23rd December 2011, 05:50 AM
Fair enough. That's partly the reason I suggested the 2 admins on every action thing. But also, in a very real, practical way, having that extra head in on things can help avoid many hasty decisions.
oblivion
23rd December 2011, 06:18 AM
speaking of registering second accounts, I have registered "oblivious" as my test account, so I can check out if user group based features are working the way I expect.
nostrum
23rd December 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not keen on separate accounts. Can't articulate why particularly well, but it seems like admins are removed from being themselves and are "wearing the admin hat" (I HATE that saying!)

But, if you think it would help you, cunt, I've no objections! I'm fairly sure that people like ob and elouise and adenosine who are already experienced admins would not need such a safety net, so maybe just a training wheels kind of account that you may not even need to use later on?

After 2 hrs sleep last night (and not much more the night before) I can't even tell - but suspect - that this post ^ is condescending. If it is, I humbly apologise.
Hermit
23rd December 2011, 12:57 PM
Having trawled through the internet for some of this afternoon and evening to suss out the legal implications of running a forum, I have decided to chicken out of my role as administrator. Would someone please make the necessary adjustment?

For those who are interested in the factor that caused me to regretfully come to this decision, here is a summary of what I found out today:

Initially, the legal situation looked relatively benign. While Australian legislation pertaining to internet sites is properly regarded as one of the most repressive in the world, its reach explicitly excludes sites hosted outside this country. At worst the relevant government authority could compel this nation's ISPs to block them, which can of course be circumvented through the use of proxy servers. That would only constitute a minor annoyance, but an annoyance just the same. Most proxies are painfully inadequate, have a habit of eventually being blocked themselves or aren't even bona fide proxies. Alternatively they cost money. $15 per month seems to be the going rate. At any rate, this is not an insurmountable problem.

The critical stumbling block is this: In 2000 Dow Jones & Co published a 7000 word article about an Australian businessman, Joe Gutnick, in an online magazine called Barron's. That magazine's website is located in the USA, and its content is only visible to registered subscribers. Gutnick thought it was defamatory, and sought to sue Dow Jones in a Victorian (Victoria is one of Australia's states) court. The court would not let him, so he made an appeal to Australia's ultimate court, the High Court of Australia. The seven High Court judges came to a unanimous decision in 2002. It was that, yes, even though the article was hosted in the USA, and even though access was by subscription only, every time someone in Australia opened it (there were 1700 subscribers in Australia at the time) the article was considered to be published in this country, so a defamation case against Dow Jones can be mounted from here. In 1974 the actual defamation case that was eventually conducted in Victoria was settled with Dow Jones agreeing to pay Gutnick in excess of half a million dollars in compensation.

Now, it is most unlikely that anyone would go through the expense or effort to sue a publisher as insignificant as a small, or even medium sized forum, but as small as such a chance is, I am simply not prepared to take it.
oblivion
23rd December 2011, 05:02 PM
I've changed your user group to "registered members", Seraph. I can understand your concerns. I knew that the libel laws in Australia are different. We've actually discussed the Barrons case at TR. We have 3-4 US lawyers who are admins or mods. They've indicated that the risk for a non-AU staff member is vanishingly small.
Magicziggy
25th December 2011, 04:29 AM
MZ registered. I've approved the registration and made him an admin.

Fuck, I didn;t know. Thanks.

Right, abuse of powers time time...
Magicziggy
25th December 2011, 04:32 AM
speaking of registering second accounts, I have registered "oblivious" as my test account, so I can check out if user group based features are working the way I expect.

Oh, good, it's you...I thought it was someone taking the piss.
Magicziggy
25th December 2011, 04:42 AM
I've changed your user group to "registered members", Seraph. I can understand your concerns. I knew that the libel laws in Australia are different. We've actually discussed the Barrons case at TR. We have 3-4 US lawyers who are admins or mods. They've indicated that the risk for a non-AU staff member is vanishingly small.

Oh fuck....

Better brush up on Australian defamation law I guess.
It needs a thread of its own.

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Is there a ^Your Posts^ link? page 1

Tasty, tasty Food page 1

should members be able to change their votes in polls? page 1